Toyota Repair/toyota SR5 4runner 2007

Question
Hi!  I am writing to ask you about a 2007 4Runner with a V6 engine 4-wheel drive that has been sitting garaged for the past 2 years and has not been moved.  It has less than 20,000 miles on it, one small accident with just some body damage, and no other significant repair history.  It is located in upstate New York, so it has been experiencing some cold winters.  So my current problem is, I have to travel quite some distance to get it and will only have a short period of time to retrieve the car, fix it up to get it moving, and bring it back down to where I live, about 4 hours away.  What types of repairs should I be anticipating?  I called the dealer and they were recommending about $3,000 in repairs (new fuel, new fluids, new tires, two oil changes, new plugs etc.).  Is that accurate?  We might just take it to a regular mechanic because dealers tend to get expensive and recommended everything under the sun for the car.  Please let me know what you think.  Thank you.

Crystal

Answer
The main concern here is the condition of the gasoline that has been in the tank for 2 years, gas tends to break down and turn into something that is not very combustible anymore, I would recommend removing all or most of the fuel in the tank and filling it with fresh fuel, the dealer was correct in that regard, after that it may take a while to start and run normally once the old fuel is purged out of the injector fuel rails, an oil change makes some sense as well, it may take some time for oil pressure to build up so disable ignition by removing the EFI fuse under the hood and crank the engine until the oil warning light goes off, a new battery will probably be needed as well.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter