Toyota Repair/4runner wont start

Hello. I have a 1990 v6 4runner. It was running fine then started jerking on acceleration.  I changed the plugs and started it up. It ran for a few seconds the died. Now the engine wont turn over. I changed the coil, efi relay, fuel pump and relay. I gave up and took it to a mechanic and they say there is no power to the distributor and the check engine light wont come on. He said it might be the ecm but maybe not. Please help. Any ideas? Is it a lost cause?

Hello, the check engine light not turning on just means that the computer is not getting power from the ignition and so the coil and igniter are most likely not getting any power to them either. The first thing to do is to check all the fuses in the box under the hood. If you have a 12 volt test light or a voltmeter it is better to check the fuses using either with the key on to see if each fuse has power to both tabs on top of each fuse? Let me know what you come up with.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems