Toyota Repair/abnormal noise from differential

I have a 2003 AWD Matrix that was towed improperly. It developed a whining noise that gets higher in pitch with speed. After researching I found a Toyota Service Bulletin DL 002-07 ABNORMAL NOISE FROM REAR DIFFERENTIAL. It identifies the problem, parts and repair procedure, but I have no idea of the cost. I need a ball park figure to see if I want to invest the money into a car this old. Someone suggested I convert to front wheel drive. Is that possible?

Looking at the service bulletin the time allowed by the factory is 7.1 hours to complete this operation, the dealers almost never use "warranty time" for customer pay work, so it will be more like 12 hours customer pay, you can try to negotiate that depending on the circumstances and willingness of the dealer management, the 12 hours translates into about $1200.oo labor since most dealers are at $100 or more per hour labor time, I'm not familiar with the parts prices and I don't like to guess so add the parts prices to that, the part numbers are listed so a quick call to the dealer would give you that information, my best guess would be around $300-400 for the parts.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems