Toyota Repair/Engine won't start

Question
My 1999 Toyota Camry LE 4 cylinder 210,000 miles would not start after I replaced the water pump. The alarm goes off, light flashes, and the starter was disabled.

To replace the water pump, I had to remove, reinstall, and/or disturb several parts, such as the power steering pump, timing belt, alternator, and electrical wiring leading to one or two injectors and the power steering pump.

While working, I noticed the camshaft position sensor was unintalled, but left hanged dangling by the wire. I took the old one out and installed a new one by bolting it to the cylinder head with the sensor fitting into a round hole near the camshaft.

Years ago, I replaced its water pump, oil pump, timing belt, thermostat, and spark plugs. I used to be able to reset the alarm system by pressing the red button left to the steering column while turning the ignition key, but not this time.  What have I done wrong this time?  H E L P.

I would be willing to pay you something if you can help me fix my clunker.  Thanks.

Answer
Here is a short procedure that works on most aftermarket alarms:
disconnect the negative battery cable
open the door and put the key in to the on position
reconnect the battery
if the alarm stays off enter the car, leave door open and attempt to start.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter