Toyota Repair/idle reving up and down

2002 Tacoma, 4wheel drive, 2.7 liter, standard trans., 124000 miles.

I recently spent all the money I had buying this vehicle. By the time I put 400 hundred miles on it, it becan reving up and down 2000 rpm to 1000rpm when warmed up. When I start it it stays on high idle- 2000rpm. Can't get it to lower rpm idle.Cleaned the throttle plate and intake. Cleaned the idle control as best I could from inside the thottle- didn't have the special screwdrive to remove the screws from the throttle body. Checked all the vacuum hoses for leaks and the MAS. Stumped, as is my mechanic. The check engine reading was p0505, I believe. Got any hints for whats next? No rust so I don't think it is the ground.
I don't have money to throw parts at it. Is it safe to run while suffering this problem?

Hello, you are getting the P0505 because of the idle fluctuation, to be sure I would remove the throttle body and then the IAC valve for inspection and either clean or replace it depending on it's condition. Check to make sure the engine does not overheat, this can also cause idle fluctuations, if the IAC does not cure the problem try replacing the engine coolant temp switch, be sure the PCV valve and the hose is good.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems