Toyota Repair/93 Toyota Camry stalls. Please help.

QUESTION: Greetings,
I bought a 93 Camry at auction with 213k miles on transmission.  Car runs rough until it warms up (?). I step on gas and it won't go faster then 20 mph for about 6 or so minutes then it drives fine.
suggestions?Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Hello, is there any kind of excessive smoke from the exhaust?
Does the check engine turn on with the key on and does it go off after starting the engine?
4 cylinder or V6?

QUESTION: No exhaust issue.  Car always starts.  Just won't go past 10 miles or so.  But when engine is warm. .. it drives fine. It's a v6. Thank you for your time&effort. Seems the engine doesn't sound right.  Shaky.  Took to mechanic.  He didn't want to cost me money as it will run.  Any help i am so thankful for.

Hello, find a mechanic that is willing to work with you on this and try to diagnose it correctly without putting expensive part on and hoping it will get fixed.
Have it checked for diagnostic trouble codes which may be stored in the computer.

there may be a restriction in the exhaust system, possibly a catalytic converter that is partially clogged. This can be checked with a vacuum gauge connected to the intake manifold
It may have a bad airflow meter
The coolant temperature sensor for the computer may be bad.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems