Toyota Repair/engine won't continue running

QUESTION: I have an 87 4runner, had a new head,new distributor,wires and plugs installed by a repair shop. good computer and spark ignightor. fuel pressure good. will start and run and sound good for 5-8 seconds then die. will not keep running. another repair shop said for $150 they could tell me what was wrong. instead they said for another $600 they think there is something wrong with the injectors and they would like to check it out. I now have $1400 in a non running vehicle that was running before I had the first work done on it. Local Toyota dealership unable to help (no qualified mechanic for toyota's) 22re engine standard transmission 4wheel. any ideas of what I can check. I am a farmer so do a lot of my own mechanics, but I am not a mechanic (I would rather work in blood than in grease) but I am fairly proficient at doing repairs and I feel that it might be a sensor. thank you dvb

ANSWER: hello, what did they do exactly that cost you another $600?

QUESTION: The second shop only did electronic scans.  The mechanic said he thought the injectors might be the problem and if I was willing to pay another $600 they would take them out and check them. But no guarantee that the injectors were the problem only that he thought they were the problem. I loaded up my 4-runner and took it home. His guarantee that he would be able to tell me what the problem was got me only an "I think". dvb

It doesn't sound like an injector problem to me. something may be turning the injectors or the fuel pump off, does the check engine light stay on at this time while the engine is running?
If I had to guess I would say that it may have a bad airflow meter or a huge air leak on the intake.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems