Toyota Repair/Pulley Noise

Question
I have a 1990 Toyota Celica, 5 speed manual transmission, 1.6 ptr.  Belts are all new on car.  It has about 210,000 miles.  I noticed this morning that the pulleys were making a noise.  All belts are tight and all pulleys are moving the belts.  My drive to and from work is approximately 40 miles and due to my work, I probably will not be able to get it to a shop to be looked at today.  It is not a high pitiched squealing noise, but rather a weird noise.  I checked the fluid for power steering and it was good.  The steering doesn't seem to be an issue either, no noise or difficulty turning steering wheel.  My main concern it getting back home.  My travel home is long and part of the trip is on a very bad narrow, heavily traveled road for Trucks (Cornelieus Pass, Hillsboro, OR).  I do not want to get broke down on this road as there is no cell phone service either.  Any pointers would be appreiciated.

Answer
Hello,
My concern going by what you have said is the timing belt and or water pump, I would check these first, you can check to see if it's the water pump by disconnecting he belt and run the engine to see if the noise goes away, if it does then the water pump is probably the cause of the noise, it is external on this engine and driven by the alternator belt, if the noise is still there the problem could be a worn timing belt. The water pump usually makes a growling type of noise, a worn or loose timing belt will make a rapping/rattle type of noise.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter