Toyota Repair/My Toyota AC

Question
You asked me if I had updated R-134 freon.  I think so but can you tell me how to check? The AC fan, heater works.  It just stopped putting out cold one day.
The truck looks brand new in/out all orig, low miles.  I'd like to fix the AC if possible.  I have some mech. ability and tons of tools.
thanks,Martin

Answer
Hello, look at the a/c fittings at the compressor, the old R-12 Freon has external threads on the fittings, if converted to R-134 the fittings are a push on type and no threads are visible, there is no more R-12 available in the US so if the Freon has leaked out it will have to be fitted with the R-134 fittings which can be done for about $30 in parts available at the autoparts store. If it has the 134 fittings get a recharge kit from the autoparts store and follow the instructions and attempt to add Freon and see if the compressor keeps running.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter