Toyota Repair/Cooling Fan

Question
QUESTION: My cooling fan does not come on.  It will turn on immediately when I turn on the AC, but doesn't turn on when the engine is running without the AC.  I've change the thermal sensor so far, what should I do next?  

In addition to that I failed emissions this morning, high HC and CO.  I found afterwards that the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold was completely unplugged.  Is this likely the only reason why or should I look for other issues.  This car only has 47k original miles and runs perfect.  It passed with flying colors last time with no repairs since then.

ANSWER: Hello, I need to know which model and year Toyota you have. First reconnect the sensor, disconnect the battery for a few seconds, this should clear the code, then drive it and see if the light turns back on.

QUESTION: Apologies, I thought I had given that info.  1991 Toyota Tercel with automatic.

ANSWER: No problem, by "thermal sensor" do you mean the sensor at the bottom of the radiator? When you disconnect the connector and turn the key on does it run all the time?

QUESTION: I've resolved the cooling fan issue.  Due to the fact that this has sat for so many years without being driven the contacts inside the motor weren't making good contact.  I disassembled the fan motor, cleaned everything, and touched things up with a bit of sandpaper, and it works perfectly now.  

What do you think about my emissions question?

"In addition to that I failed emissions this morning, high HC and CO.  I found afterwards that the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold was completely unplugged.  Is this likely the only reason why or should I look for other issues.  This car only has 47k original miles and runs perfect.  It passed with flying colors last time with no repairs since then."

I get one free retest but wondered if there was anything else that I should look at before heading back to the testing station now that I plugged in the sensor?  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Reconnect the sensor, clear the code and drive it to see if a check engine light turns on, if it runs and idles smooth and the light stays off chances are good that it will pass, you may also consider getting a can of fuel additive that can bring the emissions down, these are available at most auto parts stores.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter