Toyota Repair/Raise the rear end of a 96 Camry

Hi, we have a 1996 Camry LE (5SFE-2.2L, 4 Cylinder, automatic trans)four door sedan and the back of the car rides extremely low. Just going over a speed bump, even at a crawl, and the car exhaust pipe hits the top of the speed bump. Also, whenever there are 3 average size adults riding in the back seat, the car rides extremely low and it looks like the bottom of the wheel well will hit the top of the tire. I know the coil springs must be replaced, and since the car is old, I am going to replace the struts as well. I am wondering if new coil springs and struts will raise the rear of the car enough so that when the back seat is full the car doesn't ride so low. Is there anything I can put on the end of the new struts/coil springs to add to their length? Perhaps a Coil spring shim or spacer?  I have checked and neither coil spring looks broken, and the exhaust pipe on the bottom of the car seems to be mounted securely. Will new coil springs raise the car up? Would coil spring shims/spacers help the new springs?

Hello, it sounds like the springs are weak and need to be replaced, you can get complete strut/coil assemblies from most autoparts stores or online, there is no need to add any additional spacers etc if the springs are replaced with the original quality units.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems