Toyota Repair/air conditioning

Question
Hi Ted

Here's my problem...

I own a 1993 Toyota Camry 4-cylinder. When I turn on the air conditioning, I get air out of the 2 small side vents but absolutely nothing comes out of the 2 main vents in the center of the dash. I thought it might be leaves or a hose problem, so I took it to my mechanic who took off the dash and  said that it's probably a sensor problem and would take him three days to find the problem and cost $800 -$900 in labor! I can't afford this and the heat is getting brutal here in California. Your expert thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Hope you're having a great day,

Steve

Answer
Hello, did the mechanic tell you exactly what they are going to do that costs $900? I would recommend getting an opinion from the Toyota dealer, it may just be a control cable that is broken at the control panel or the housing under the dash, "probably a sensor" doesn't sound right neither does the labor charge to completely take the dash apart to find the problem, find someone else to check this out.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter