Toyota Repair/RPMS in 2002 Toyota Sienna

QUESTION: When I start my van, sometimes the RPMS hang around 1000 or below and when I put it in gear the engine dies.  This happens when the weather is warmer.  What is wrong?

ANSWER: Hello, does the check engine light stay on while the engine is running?
Does it run normally other than this stalling problem?

QUESTION: I will have to check that the next time this happens.  Other than the problem when starting the van, it runs normally otherwise.

Thank you for responding.  I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the reply, if the check engine light does not turn on, it's most likely a problem with the idle air control valve, it's located on the throttle body which has to be removed, in most cases the valve can be cleaned and re used, carbon deposits that build up over time can cause the valve to stick  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems