Toyota Repair/1993 4runner

QUESTION: Have a '93 4runner will run fine for about 20 minutes then the check engine light comes an the engine power drops. If shut off for awhile check engine light goes off an runs fine for a short period of time.

ANSWER: Hello, You need to check to see if there anre any diagnostic trouble codes in the computer, you can do this yourself, locate the diagnostic check connector under the hood near the fuse box on the right side, open it and look inside the cover for the terminals TE1 and E1 put a jumper wire between them and turn the key on, the check engine light will blink, if there is a code it will be two digits, for example a code 12 would be one blink followed by two, there may be more than one code, let me know what you find.

QUESTION: Did the diagnostic was flashing 5 an 2 so 52 I'm guessing.

A code 52 is for the engine knock sensor, which would not cause this problem, it's possible that it's really a code 25 which is an O2 sensor code. The sensor is most likely not the cause, there is something else causing the engine to lose engine power, if it's due to fuel run out the sensor will see a lean condition and turn the light on. First try replacing the fuel filter, it's located under the passenger door inside the frame rail. Was anything replaced recently to try to fix this or for other reasons?

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems