Toyota Repair/2004 Toyota Sienna LE Running Hot

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna LE with 155k miles.

I've had the van for ~4 months and the temp gauge, when I'd previously noted it, always hung around the halfway point on the gauge. A few days ago I noticed it was running at the 3/4 point and creeping up toward the red zone.

I turned on the heat to drain off some of the heat in the engine compartment and got to an AutoZone. Checked the coolant. It was very low so I filled it up.

The car still runs hot.

The coolant level hasn't dropped and there's no water evident in my oil so I don't think it's a head gasket issue.

Based on research I've done, it looks like that leaves the thermostat, cooling fan, and water pump as likely culprits. Are there any others?

And is there some way I can narrow the problem down? Some way I can test to see if it's specifically the thermostat or cooling fan or water pump or whatever?

Or is it time to take it to a mechanic?

Thanks, Mike

Hello, the water pump would be last on the list, the thermostat would be first. Check the cooling fan, it should turn on when the engine gets to just over halfway on the gauge, if the fan works try replacing the thermostat, if it still overheats it may need a new radiator.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems