Toyota Repair/Toyota Corolla drl

Question
I have a 2001 toyota corolla.  Recently I have been having an issue with my drl lights not coming on and my high beam indicator will blink on and off.  Well tonight when I turned the ignition off the drl and tail lights remained on and would not turn off.  I searched the Internet for an answer and it seems that it may be the drl module/relay. I accessed it behind the glove compartment and removed it. Now my problem is gone but I have no headlights at all. Is there a way I can remedy this without having to buy a whole module?

Answer
It's usually not the relay, see if there is a burned smell from the relay, it may be burned out, the problem may be a bad ground connection, check the junction block inside where all the fuses are, look for any burned or overheated insulation on the connectors, look under the dash on the left, you will see a white connector with wires going in but not out, it is usually taped to the harness, this is a ground point, all the wires go to ground and are connected inside the connector, remove the end cover and inspect the connector contacts for corrosion, clean it or make new ground wires as needed, use an ohm meter to check each wire to body ground,  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter