Toyota Repair/1999 Toyota transmission

Hi I have a 1999 Toyota Solara SLE V6 manual 5 speed transmission.  The numbers on the tag are C/TR:1C4/LC10 A/TM:-01B/E153 Model MCV20L-GCMNKA VIN 2T1CF22P2XC213XXX (last 3 X are not correct)The transmission quit working so it was taken for repair and when the tranny was pulled the shaft on the nose was broken actually looked like a hammer was taken to it. The repair shop put in a different used transmission and that one doesn't work either won't go into gear 1st, 3rd, or 5th.  2ND and Reverse both work (yes I drove the car to make sure).  I was told I need to get a different tranny and was given the transmission model #E52 by the repair shop.  My question is what is the difference between the E153 and the E52 or are they interchangeable or can the E52 be modified to work.  I have already given this shop a couple of thousand $$ for a car that probably is not worth the repair bill.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I only see listings for the E153 and the E53 for Camrys which is the same as Solara, they are outside the same just different gear ratios, it sounds to me there is something wrong with the gear selector cables or linkage, if it cam with the E153 then that's what should be put in.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems