Toyota Repair/Moon Roof Sounds

Hi Ted,

I purchased a 2012 Camry XLE on Dec 17 2011. Have had the car to the dealership for moon roof issues as follows:

June 25 2013
Headliner noise rattle and rubbing. Mechanic couldn’t duplicate. Cleaned sunroof seal.
After they said they couldn’t duplicate, I took the service manager for a ride. He heard the noise and rescheduled for July 7th.

July 7 2013
Found a loose windshield stop block. Removed block.
Install moon roof assembly repair #1
Install moon roof assembly repair #2

December 4 2013
Noise from passenger side headliner while driving. TSB 0151-13
Flex Roof Reinforcements and install Shims

June 26 2014
Tilt switch sometimes would momentarily stick but not every time.
When tilting the moon roof up and it was fully tilted up, then the moon roof would cycle from tilt up to close. Then the moon roof would slide open without me pressing the open or close roof button. Garage said they had to reinitialize.

July 5, 2014
When I tilt sunroof up, there is a clicking noise in headliner like when a gear has a chain slipping on it. Another way to explain the sound is when a person slides a stick over a wooden picket fence. This sound lasted for about 10 days intermittently then stopped.

August 4, 2014
With the radio off, one can hear a rubbing sound in the moon roof. Toyota mechanic said he did not know what to do to address that matter.

Ted, with a rubbing sound, my concern is having a leak in the future. The warranty expires in December 2014. What are the chances of that rubbing sound becoming a leak? If a leak does occur after the warranty expires, then what happens with regard to paying for the repair?

Thank you Ted for your insight.

The rubbing sound is most likely caused by a moving part of the moonroof, I don't know if they tried the lubrication procedure but that usually fixes it, another concern is the moonroof operating cables which can slip on the gear of the roof motor, neither of these scenarios will cause a water or air leak unless the roof stops working in an open position, after the warranty expires you still have some recourse because you've complained about this while it was still in warranty so be sure the complaint is documented, if they acknowledged the noise and stated they did not know how to fix it (which I doubt)then you have documentation that it was a pre existing condition and this can give you some leverage to get it fixed at no charge.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems