Toyota Repair/Coolant

I have a 2007 Highlander with 45,000 miles. I had the hood open and was checking the oil today and I noticed that the coolant reservoir is almost empty, well below the L mark. There is maybe an inch of pink fluid at the bottom of the reservoir, and the engine was warm, I had driven it 15 miles or so, parked it for about 30 minutes when I checked it. Is the reservoir just an overflow reservoir, or should there be coolant in the reservoir at all times? Can I just add a 50-50 mix to the reservoir, or does this situation warrant a visit to Toyota service due to a leak of some kind? Thanks!

There is supposed to be coolant in the bottle at all times, if it goes low over a period of time there may be a small leak developing into a bigger leak, the most common on these engines is the water pump, the best way to check it is to pressurize the cooling system and do a visual inspection of the pump.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems