Toyota Repair/variable valve timing sensor

I have a Toyota Avalon 2002 with  check  engine light on. Had it checked out and although there are no problems in the performance of the car at all the test showed a code P1346(VVT) variable valve timing sensor.  What is this and do I need to go to a dealership for repairs and is the cost reasonable?  

Thank you for any help you may offer............Lisa

Hello, this may be due to a worn timing belt, if it has over 100,000 miles or so have the timing belt checked, it can also come on because of neglected engine oil, contaminated oil can clog the control valve for the variable timing system, you may opt to change the oil and filter, clear the code by disconnecting the battery for a minute and see if it comes back.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems