Toyota Repair/89 Toyota pickup sr5 4x4 auto

I live in Nebraska and as the wind chills have been getting below zero, my truck has been acting up. As of now, when I go to start it in the morning, I turn the key (all gauge lights on as normal)and the delay before the starter kicks on is longer depending on how cold it is. It has fired every time but it is a rough start for 10 seconds or so then runs fine. I am mostly wondering about the delayed start when key is put into start position, and if this delay is causing the cold start injector to dump a bunch of fuel into the motor. I have no service history, bought the truck a few months ago and had no problems when warm. When engine is warm there is no problem. Thanks

starter relay
starter relay  
Hello, you may want to add an additional starter relay, 'solution' has been around for quite some time but it works, refer to the diagram that I have attached, the relay is a simple universal headlight or starter relay available at the autoparts store.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems