Toyota Repair/brakes on 2000 Camry

Hello Mr. Ritter!

Recently I went to the mechanic complaining about an occasional grinding sound and sense that the brakes were occasionally not holding well.  Sometimes I could feel a quick pushback on the pedal.  He checked and found that one area of the brakes (an area that had not been obvious on visual inspection I had asked for a month or 2 earlier when I suspected a problem) had worn down and even damaged the rotor enough for both brakes and rotor to need replacement.

When new brakes/rotor were first put in, the brakes felt VERY spongy (scarily so) when I would first start driving in the morning, though they would get more responsive after I drove for a while.  Also, I am finding that frequently, during soft, slow braking, I feel pushback on the pedal and hear a noise as though the ABS is kicking in.  It feels like something is "catching" during the braking, a hiccup,or like something is not holding right.  This had happened for a short while even before I got the new brakes--but now it's considerably more frequent.   

The mechanic has no idea why this could be happening.  Do you have a clue, based on the symptoms, of what I should ask him to check for?  Could any damage that happened as a result of the undiagnosed worn down brakes be causing these symptoms?

Thank you in advance for weighing in with your expanse of Toyota knowledge.

It sounds like the ABS is being actuated, possible problems could be a bad abs sensor or metal shavings on the sensor or the wheel speed reluctor rings, these can be inspected by removing the sensors and cleaning the sensors and inspecting and cleaning the wheel speed reluctor wheels, it's also possible that one of the speed sensors has an intermittent condition, this can be checked using a diagnostic tool connected to the vehicle computer and checking for abs diagnostic codes and live speed sensor data while driving.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems