Toyota Repair/Tail light fuse is blowing and loosing cluster illumination

Hi there, I have a 1993 Toyota Tercel. I have experience working on Heavy Duty Diesels but not so much in this field. The 15A fuse in the fuse panel bellow the dash keeps popping . When it does I loose marker lights, running lights in the rear, and cluster illumination. The fuse will pop as soon as the head light switch is turned on in the first position. Found a short in the line that I fixed. Then about 10 miles later it popped again. Wondering if there might be a relay or a solenoid that was damaged previously? Where do I Start from here?

Hello, as you probably know this 15 amp fuse supplies voltage to the dash illumination as well as the tail lights and marker lights and back up lights, since the fuse blows only when either the switch is in the 'parking light' or the headlight on position we can rule out the backup lights as the problem, the first thing is to try to isolate the problem to either the front or rear of the car. Instead of using up fuses I would make up a 15 amp circuit breaker and put it in where the fuse goes but that's up to you. A volt ohm meter/ multimeter will also help, start at the rear and check for short to ground, disconnect the battery, turn switch on, remove the bulbs at the rear and start checking for a short to ground on each bulb socket contact, I believe the tail light wires are solid green, if a wire is shorted you are closer to finding the problem, remove the front park light and side marker bulbs and see if the short is still there, it's just a matter of finding the wire that is grounded. If you find a shorted wire disconnect the combination switch, the connector is under the steering column, if the short disappears the problem is the switch. Let me know what you come up with so far.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems