Toyota Repair/Toyota C59 Transmission

QUESTION: toyota matrix 5 speed trans. failed, can older model corolla C59 M.T. fit with out Modification such as one out of a 2000 corolla.

ANSWER: Hello, what year is the matrix and what engine does it have?. If the engines are the same the transmissions are the same as well

QUESTION: the matrix is a 2004 1.8zz1, 5 speed C59 and just lets say the downer trans was out of a 1998 to 2002 corolla 1.8zz1, 5 speed C59.
1)will it fit with out modification?
2)will it rev higher or lower in 5th at 100 km/hr?
3) the matrix does not use a pilot bearing because pilot shaft is shorter, so do I install pilot bearing if required on older C59?
 Thank you for your reply in advance

It wlll physically fit because they both use the same drivetrain/frame combination, don't know about the gear ratios but my best educated guess is that they are the same, neither corolla or matrix use a pilot bearing, if the donor transmission has an input shaft that requires a pilot bearing then it will not work, as far as I know the manual transmissions are all the same for the 1ZZ-FE engines for corolla and matrix

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems