Toyota Repair/URGENT 4Runner Charging System Trouble

I am stumped and genuinely need some help. I have a 2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport 4WD V8 Automatic with approximately 155,000 miles. In the last week or so, the charge indicator light on the dash has been intermittent and then beginning this past Thursday, it began to remain constantly illuminated.

I began by cleaning the battery posts and cables, checked grounds and wires, reconnected the battery and started her up. She seemed all good but, as she approached operating temp., the MPG, OAT, Clock display went dark, radio and heat were inoperable and shortly thereafter the tach dropped to zero, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and she began to sputter and then shut down. An attempted restart resulted in nothing unless I once again disconnected and reconnected the negative batt cable.

I'm in a very precarious situation in life right now and desperately need this vehicle operable but, my situatio is so dire that I simply can't toss a bunch of money at this right now. I've done a great del of research and have received an immense amount of advice such as toss a brush kit in and hope for the best since it's cheaper than replacing the alternator. However, this morning an alternator shop said I was pissing in the wind as it may be the regulator or rectifier bridge.

Needless to say, I am stumped and incredibly stressed at this point and desperately need some professional guidance. I apologize for the length of this but, I would genuinely appreciate any insight that you can provide. Thanks for your time!

Hello, it does seem like the alternator is not charging the battery back up, the first thing to do is to verify this, you can do this yourself if you have a voltmeter, just check the voltage while the engine is running, should be close to 14 volts, if not replace the alternator, most autoparts stores like autozone also offer to check the charging system at no charge. Once it is determined that the alternator is not charging, replace it with remanufactured part from the parts store or buy one online, the voltage regulator and the rectifiers etc re built into the alternator and are not availblr separately, you may be able to get brushes for it but you are taking a chance that replacing them will not fix the problem and to do so requires disassembly of the alternator which you would probably have to do yourself since most shops do not repair alternators  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems