Toyota Repair/2008 sienna needs new ecu

My mini van started chugging and three lights came up on the dash. the dealer changed the transmission sensor $500. two days later same problem. They said that the ecu needs to be replaced $1300. they said that the trans sensor failed due to electrical problems with the ecu. I asked why they hadn't figured that out in the first place. They said that the code the first time didn's show ecu problems. But now they determined that it is the ecu. does this make sense to you? Thanks

No, doesn't make much sense, sounds like they are misdiagnosing the whole thing and not addressing the real problem, I'm not ruling out the ECM I'm just saying they are guessing is what it sounds like to me. I would offer you two choices, let them replace the ECM under the condition that it fixes the problem, if not they have to remove it and put the old one back and you pay nothing including the previous repair which did not fix the problem, if the ECM fixed it ask for a refund of the previous repair, again, it did not fix the problem.
The other way to go is to not deal with them at all and get another diagnosis and opinion from another dealer if possible, that's the best I can do without having some actual diagnostic code information and what exactly was replaced previously.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems