Toyota Repair/1988 Toyota Camry Turn Signal-Headlight Switch

QUESTION: Replaced the turn signal-headlight switch on my 1988 Camry. New switch came with new spring, ball bearing, and retainer clip. (Old spring is slightly longer than the new one.) Anyway, switch works, except now always in high-beam mode.  By manipulating the switch handle, I can get the high-beam to go out (i.e., low beam mode).  That ball bearing was difficult to get into position (although it feels like it is in there correctly to me).  Is there a trick to getting the ball bearing in correctly?  I did loosen the entire combination switch unit (4 screws), and then tightened it back up because I decided not to remove it to replace the switch.  Did I screw up the high-low beam mechanism?

ANSWER: Hello, what was the reason for replacing the switch?

QUESTION: The mechanism in the handle broke - it no longer snapped into position when turning on the headlights, etc.  However, everything else worked fine - headlights, turn signals, and hgh-beams.  I finally ordered a replacement (Wells brand) and installed it this weekend.

Hi, not sure what is going, if this was not a problem before the problem may be with the new awitch, the ball goes in only one way and if you can switch between high and low positions without forcing it there is no problem there. recheck the electrical connections to make sure the connector pins are a tight fit and none are bent or loose.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems