Toyota Repair/90 Cressida

Aloha Ted, the overflow coolant reservoir of my Cressida (110,000 miles) keeps getting low and I have to refill it with about a pint or so once a week. I see no visible coolant leak anywhere and the car does not smoke. The oil and coolant look normal too. Could this be a cylinder head gasket starting to fail? Mahalo.

Hello, yes it could be  a headgasket starting to leak into the combustion chamber, a small leak is usually hidden due to the coolant being burned in the combustion process, it is commonly at the #6 cylinder, what you can do at this time is to replace the radiator cap, it may not be holding pressure then see how it goes, if the problem persists have the cooling system pressure tested, if the cooling system loses pressure over a time of a few hours there is a small leak somewhere, you should also do a internal combustion leak test, you can do so yourself by buying an inexpensive test kit from the auto parts store  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems