Toyota Repair/SMT Toyota Mr2 Spyder Transmission Issue

Arthur wrote at 2015-05-17 19:58:39
You only need to change the whole set of SMT tranission shift control(with 3 sensors). It is used to control the up and down shift and also the crutch. It can be easily located. Just at the left lowest side of the gear box, which is located at the bottom of the HSP Pump. Yeap, it is quite expensive(about US$2000) and I have change it after someone advise me to change the ecu and tranmission computer(US$500) and then HSP pump(US$1600)  because they are cheaper. Finaly, pump and ecu have no problem found. Don waste time and money for them, change the shift control directly if you need to keep the SMT. Otherwise chage it to manually shift.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems