Toyota Repair/X-REAS shocks

I've read that I can replace my x-reas shocks on my 2004 Toyota 4Runner as long as all 4 wheels are extended and I haven't performed any other service on the system. Is this true? If yes, then how does one keep the oil in the system from leaking or getting air into it? All 4 Shocks are beginning to leak oil and need to be replaced soon. For some reason, there is no info out there on how to replace these shocks. Just lots of info on how to get rid of the x-reas system and switch to an aftermarket set up. I like the benefits of the system and would like to keep it. I'm just not going to pay the dealer $1800 to replace them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello, if you have instructions to remove the system then do that, remove the lines and drain the fluid into a container, plug the lines off, disconnect the electrical connector from the reservoir/actuator, remove the original struts/shocks and buy some for a non X-REAS 4 Runner for the same year.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems