Toyota Repair/Toyota Celica VVTL-i automatic transmission

Question
QUESTION: Hi, Car details: Year 2000, model VVTL-i 190bhp, mileage 65,000, auto transmission type: U240E,
Engine/Frame: ZZ231-BLPVF.
Problem: while driving engine management light will come on and speedo will drop back to zero and after awhile the light will go out and speedo will operate correctly. Diagnostic check shows a P0500 fault code, which could indicate a speed sensor malfunction.
I have removed the battery, the ECU and battery tray to expose the top of the transaxle. I have located the input turbine speed sensor and the counter gear speed sensor but I am unable to locate the speed sensor.
I have owned the car for 13 years and it was imported from Japan. Unfortunately Toyota UK did not sell the automatic version in the UK so information is limited. Are you able to help?
Regards
Ron

ANSWER: The sensor on top of the transmission should be replaced
[PDF]DTC P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
highlight and copy this address into your browser then click on the first link that appears.

QUESTION: Hi Ted
Thanks very much for answering my query, unfortunately there is no VSS fitted on my car, I have located where it should be and there is a blanking plate fitted instead.My next question where is the signal for the speedometer being generated?  I have attached some illustrations I found please note it indicates that this sensor was not fitted on all models!! Sorry Ted I have not attached the images, As I do not want to break any copyright regulations.
I found the U240E manual on the ATSG website

Answer
Thanks for the update
I have not encountered the blocking plate where the speed sensor should be, my best guess is that it has ABS and the vehicle speed is calculated by the ECM based on signals from each wheel speed sensor.  Do you know if it has abs, if not sure, turn the key on and the ABS light should turn on and go off in six seconds. If it has ABS there may be codes for the system, you'll need a diagnostic scanner that can access the abs computer, The ECM may be picking this up as an erroneous speed input signal from one of the sensors, accessing the abs computer may give you a specific wheel speed sensor code.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter