Toyota Repair/Oil Usage

Question
Hi Ted,

I have a 2012 Camry XLE with 30,298 miles. I last changed the oil and filter in October 2014 with 23,835 miles. I've put 6,463 miles on the car since that oil change. I used the mobile 1 0w 20 full synthetic oil.

I was shocked to check the oil today noticing it was just above the middle of the space between the top full mark on the dipstick and the bottom mark. My car NEVER moved off of the full mark since I bought the car. I've had the car since Dec 2011.

I don't see any oil leaks at the filter or oil pan plug. I've only taken 5 trips with the car that were 153 miles one way for each trip. Normally I only drive the car to work which is 9 miles one way.

Why would my car all of a sudden start using that much oil?

Thanks,

Mike

Answer
What I would recommend is to contact the Toyota dealer, if there is an oil consumption problem due to a mechanical issue it is most likely still under the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. They will probably do an oil consumption test to confirm your complaint, they'll change the oil and filter, use the recommended oil and seal the oil drain plug the instruct you to drive it for around 1000 miles, return the car to them and they will add oil to get it back to the full mark if needed, this will indicate how much oil was used and make a determination if it is excessive to warrant further action.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter