Toyota Repair/2011 Toyota Sienna

Question
Ted,

I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna which we purchased new. It has about 68,000 miles on it. I don't drive it much so I just got back from vacation and have 2 quick questions after driving it.

1. The power steering is making a small whining noise when I turn it. Is that the EPS probably? It makes no major noise except when going fairly slow. It's not that loud or annoying. I've read several other places that is probably what it is and not to worry about it.

2. There is a clunking noise I am getting when I turn sometimes or when I accelerate from a stop. I can hear and feel it. I feel it in the steering column. The van drives smooth, does not pull or vibrate at all. It does not seem to be causing a problem.

Thanks

J

Answer
Hello, the EPS noise seems to be somewhat common and is nothing to worry about
there is some concern about the clunking noise which usually means there is something loose in the suspension/chassis. Tighten all the wheel lug nuts and re check it. Other than that I would recommend having a good repair facility or the dealer take a look at it.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter