Toyota Repair/transmission fluid

Question
QUESTION: Hi Ted,

I have a 1998 Toyota camry 6 cyl with 149,000 miles on it.  I drive about 6,000 miles per year.

The transmission was serviced a little over 2 years ago.  I have driven 16,500 miles since.  We just discovered that the transmission fluid was OVERFILLED back when it was serviced.  Does this cause any problem?
Also, we have had leaks spots on our driveway and wonder if this could be excess transmission fluid.  And not the result of valve cover leaks as I was told by mechanic.

Also, we do not USE any oil when we check the engine oil.  If we had a valve cover leak, would we be using engine oil?

Please give me your take on this.

ANSWER: Overfilling the transmission fluid should not cause fluid to escape unless it is way overfilled where it may come out of a vent located on top of the transmission, the valve cover leaks are common so I don't doubt that it needs them replaced.  

QUESTION: Ted, if the valve cover is leaking more than "modestly" should that result in reduced engine oil level, over time, when we check with dip stick?

Answer
Not necessarily, a small leak won't drop the level much, it would need to leak about a quart in 1000 miles for the level to drop about 1/2 inch, that' would be a big leak, the color of the fluid, if it's brown or dark brown it's engine oil, if it's a reddish color it's transmission fluid. Put a clean piece of cardboard or newspaper under the car and let it sit over night, you should be able to determine pretty much where the leak is and what color the oil is.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter