Toyota Repair/86 toyota popping out of gear

Question
hi i have 1986 toyota pickup and when i get ready to leave i put it in first gear i slowly take off thn it makes a noise and it pops out of gear but after tht its kool for a lil .so cld you plz give me something about this problem thank you so much

Answer
Hello, this could be due to worn shifter bushings in the shift tower, remove the shifter from the tower by pushing down on the silver retaining ring und turning it, this will release it, it's spring loaded so be sure to push down far enough and rotate it. There are two bushings, one at the end of the shifter and one Teflon bushing ring that fits into the shift tower, it may be broken or missing altogether. If the Toyota parts department is not an option for you try an online search, they should be available from an online parts house.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter