Toyota Repair/91 Corolla low idle

Hello and thank you taking the time to read this question.To start off with I have a 91 Toyota Corolla DX station wagon with a 1.6 liter 4 cyl and auto trans.Awhile back it just quit out of nowhere.The check engine light came on and stayed on for awhile.I figured since it did ,it must have stored a code.However after trying my scanner I found no codes.So I started it back up again and used an engine stethoscope and heard arcing inside the distributor which was causing a miss condition in the idle.What would happen is it would idle fine at start up and then bog down acting like it was fuel starved and then die completely. This would happen usually as soon as the engine was warmed up and the choke disengaged.I checked resistance on the coil and found it lacking .1.5 ohms.I believe stock is supposed to be 2.3 ohms.So I figured I would replace the distributor since they seem to have issues with those years .I replaced it with a brand new unit O.E. complete with cap, coil, rotor,ignition module.Now after start up the choke doesn't seem to work and it barely idles.Does the ECU have to relearn the new part and reset itself or did I somehow miss something along the way ?

Hello, the 1991 obd 1 system does not have the capability to relearn the idle parameters, it is possible on this engine to manually adjust the idle, there should be an adjustment screw on the throttle body, ity is inside a hole about1/2" diameter, it may have a rubber plug so remove it and turn the slotted screw inside, be sure that all intake hose connections are tight and no cracks visible in the rubber hoses.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems