Toyota Repair/Start up

I have a 99 camry,and not everyday but every now and again,I turn the key and it makes a sound like when you try and crank a running car,but not as rough and it won't start,I wait for a sec try again and it cranks right up,I put a new starter on it,but it did it again,it doesn't matter if its cold or hot when it does it,problem is it doesn't happen everyday and so far never more than once in a day,was wondering what it could be,other than that car runs great

Hello, this sounds like it may be a bad spot on the flywheel ring gear teeth that the starter engages with, to inspect, remove the starter and inspect the ring gear by turning the engine over slowly by hand. Look for any damaged/worn teeth, replace the flywheel/flex plate if necessary.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems