Toyota Repair/Toyota Prius

Question
Prius Dashboard
Prius Dashboard  
I have a 10 year old Toyota Prius which has been a very reliable vehicle - until last week.
Last week I started getting a number of alarms up (see photo)
I drove the car to the local Toyota service centre and asked them to check it out.  They claimed that the problem was that the Hybrid Battery was failing but claimed that I could continue to drive the car just on the petrol engine until a new battery could be obtained (from Japan).
I managed to drive the car home (about 12 km) but it was very sluggish and the petrol engine, though running quite fast was not transferring much torque to the wheels.  I only just managed to get it home at about 5 km/h.  I have since been back again to the service center but they were unhelpful.
In driving the car it felt as though the transmission(CVT) appeared to be slipping.
Can you advise whether it is possible to drive a Prius on the petrol motor alone if the battery is failing.

Thanks
Roger

Answer
What they told you was wrong, you can not drive on the petrol engine for an extended time, the system needs the input from the generators to let the transmission work correctly. the electric motor generators drive the wheels more than the engine, most of the power from the engine is used to power the generators.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter