Toyota Repair/Timing mark not lining up on a 22r 1994

It was like this before it got rebuilt . It passed smog till they putt the timing gun on it , it was off by 30*  , I don't think it's a tooth off on the distributor , it runs good when set by ear, I looked at the balancer and it all looks lined up,what else could it be ? Could the rubber in between the 2 pices of the balancer stretch when the eng is running ? Could the distributor be bad ?

It could be a balncer problem so verify that the RDC mark is correct, remove the number one spark plug and put t thin rod in the hole until it contacts the top of the cylinder, rotate the engine until the piston comes all the way up and just before it goes back down, that should be pretty close to TDC, check the pulley and make sure that it is ob the zero mark, if it is the next step is to check the cam timing, make sure the cam sprocket is lined up exactly with the mark on the upper cam bearing  housing.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems