Toyota Repair/Trouble with Toyota SR5 Pickup

I have a 1994 SR5 pickup 3.0 EFI. Troubles started about a month ago, truck would start in the morning. After running for a while, and shutting down, on trying to restart engine, would have to pump gas vigorously. Sometimes would start, sometimes would not. I would let the truck sit for half an hour to an hour at a time, then it would start up fine. As this problem got worse, the truck would hardly start at all. When I did get it going, it had no power at all, as if it were lacking enough fuel. Eventually, the truck would not run at all. I checked the fuel pressure at fuel pump, it only had 20 PSI. I changed the fuel pump with a new one, it still only had 20 PSI. When dead-ending the gauge, the pressure would go up to 43 PSI. I finally got the truck running by cranking the motor and tapping on the fuel regulator. The truck would only idle. If discontinued tapping fuel regulator, truck would stall. Prior to the truck not running, I have changed wires, plugs, the cap rotor, I have checked mass air flow sensor, is it possible that the problem could be the fuel damper on the fuel rail? I don't know what else to check. The truck ran absolutely fine before any of this occurred.

Have you tried replacing the fuel pressure regulator? the fuel damper at the end of the fuel rail doesn't have anything to do with pressure it's only function is to smoothen out the pulses from the fuel pump. Are there any diagnostic codes or is the check engine light staying on?  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems