Toyota Repair/air conditioner compressor

My mechanic has been trying to locate the correct air condtioner compressor for my
1988 Toyota corolla DE. He has been sent several wrong ones, due to confusion over the actual  year of the car. Can you please help us make sense of this dilemma and locate the right part ?
Thank you

The only thing I can recommend to you, unless you have done that already is to contact the Toyota dealer and give them the production date off the door plate and the Vin number. I understand that for a car this old they may not have listing but there is nothing personally that I can do other than what you have already tried, the problem may also be that the newer compressors are fitted with different service valves for the R134 refrigerant then the old R12 which is no longer available, it's been phased complete out.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems