Toyota Repair/Power Steering Return Hose

Hi Ted

2003 Camry 4 cyl; 168,000 miles; My small power steering hose(return hose?) is leaking where the hose fits onto the reservoir. Small drip. Only adding fluid about every month and just a very little, so not much of a leak, but itís all over my wheel well, etc because Iíve let it go. Can I replace just the rubber hose (NAPA has a 3/4" hydraulic power steering hose); the entire line is ~$270; canít afford that right now. I know the shape/contour of the hose wonít be the same. The instructions on the hose package is for replacing the hose only, not the entire line. But wanted your opinion.

And are there any tips I need to know to make it easier? I tried removing the old hose but couldnít get it off the reservoir nipple. The hose is loose, it will turn on the nipple OK, but wouldnít come off. Just realized, maybe I have to remove the screw that holds the metal line to the wheel well so I have some slack.

Thanks, Ted.

Hello, I don't see paying $270 for the entire assembly when all you need is the rubber hose part. there is very little pressure in this hose it is only a return line and I can't see any reason for not getting a piece of hose made for this purpose and replacing it, it goes from the reservoir to a fitting on the pump the same as on the reservoir. to get the hose off the reservoir use a single edge razor blade and cut lengthwise along the fitting, use clamps on both ends of the new hose.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems