Toyota Repair/strange noise in 97 Rav4

Question
QUESTION: Ted, Noise appears to be coming from the passenger side of the engine in the timing belt cover area. The funny thing is when the engine gets warm the noise goes away. And the noise goes away above about 2500 rpm. I have a good sound bite if you have some way for me to get it to you. It is an .mp3 file.

ANSWER: The best way to send that file is to create a utube link and then post it to me here in a reply.

QUESTION: Hello Ted,

A YouTube link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8tG9vS9Bfo

Answer
Thanks, this gives me a better understanding of the noise, it is very familiar to me, it's a timing belt noise, the belt is loos and worn, it's also possible that the water pump is going out as well and it is pretty much standard procedure to replace both and also inspect for leaking oil seals and replace any that are showing signs of leaks, there is one belt tensioner and one idler pulley that should be inspected for noise as well and possible replaced, this avoids having to take things apart later if any of those items should fail in the near future.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter