Toyota Repair/Vapor lock?

I have a 2008 Avalon with 49,000 miles. About 6 months ago I couldn't start it. I called AAA and it turned out to be what the AAA guy called something like vapor lock. He floored the gas pedal and turned the key and it started. The same thing happened to me yesterday when I picked up my car from an airport parking lot. The attendant retrieved my car but when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start. I did the same thing the AAA guy did; floored the gas pedal and it worked. Can you tell me what the problem is?

Hello, vapor lock is something that cars with carburetors did before the 1980's so it would be extremely unusual for an EFI controlled engine do have this problem especially one of this age.
At this time I will agree that it is most likely fuel related so if the check engine light does not turn on when the engine is running I would recommend that you try first to have the throttle body cleaned and do a fuel injector cleaning service, try adding a can of fuel treatment in the fuel tank.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems