Toyota Repair/brake lights/sensor

Question
i have a 1990 toyota camry. replaced the lamp failure sensor in the trunk along with the brake light switch behind the brake pedal. everything seemed to be working fine until yesterday. i had a small amount on smoke coming out from the seams of the dashboard (not out of the vents). It smelled electrical as if a hot wire was melting. Now my brake lights dont work and the lamp sensor is busted. I am worried this could lead to an electrical fire. Local auto electric shop said this could take a week and over $1000 to fix. the engine/car still run great (133k original miles) i just dont want to put that kind of money into it. Any advice?

Answer
Hello, what you need to do is to check the wire harness between the trunk hinge and where it connects to the relay, it's common for the wires inside the insulation near the hinge to break over time and cause a short, open the harness for about two feet and test pull some of the wires to see if they pull apart or if the short is there it should be obvious.  

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter