Toyota Repair/2000 Toyota Sienna van won't start

Hello, I recently did an oil change and bought new battery. Was running fine since then. Few days ago on the fwy steering wheel got hard and van turned off. Would not restart. Towed it. When I put the key and turn I get lights and dashboard lights but it won't start. First I was told motor could of went dead, then that the alarm had been engaged and disabling start. Any info as to which one it could be? It wasn't low on oil nor did it overheat which I was told would have been the two things to kill the motor. Mechanic went under the car and said that 'he should be able to crank the motor freely but that it was stuck'. Charging $1800 for a used motor replacement. How can I check if it's the alarm or reset it?

Hello, you need to get it to a Toyota dealer and have it inspected, I can't make the determination as to what the problem is, it could be the starter, most alarm systems let the engine turn over but it may not start If it didn't overheat and there is oil in it I don't see how the engine could be seized unless there was some kind of noise when this happens, have someone inspect this vehicle that you can trust, like a Toyota dealer.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems