Toyota Repair/87 4Runner loss of power

87 4runner
87 4runner  

87 22RE
87 22RE  
I have a 87 4runner with the 22RE & w56. My father bought it new and after he passed the truck sat in a field for the past 8 yrs. I have put alot of work bringing back to its original glory, however the truck went into some form of limp mode where if I touched the throttle it was loss all power. The only code was 5, therefore I replaced the O2 sensor with a denso oem. I have put about 1000 miles since then and the truck still seems to be sluggish. I have been through the fsm and checked all the obvious sensors (afm, tps, coolent temp, o2). Since 87 had a single digit code format the code could simply be running rich or lean. So I started to watch for signs of which. It appears to be running rich, bad gas mileage and smell of gasoline is sometimes present after the check engine light comes on. I still checked for vac leaks in the event it was running lean, but all checked out OK. Also forgot to mention the hesitation only occurs after its warm, and bc it was sitting for so long, I pulled gas tank and replaced fuel pump and cleaned the tank out (varnish). I'm stumped because the truck's first 1000 miles after sitting ran very strong. The advice I've seen when you have a code 5(rich) ranges from egr, vsv, and I believe I read on one of your posts a bad knock sensor could cause the truck to not change timing and dump fuel if bad. Also the total loss of power incident occurred 50 miles into a tank of 93, normally run 87, but I figured it would help clean what I didn't. Also all the standard tune up items and intake cleaning has occurred. This problem needs the Toyota expert, I hope you can steer me in the right direction before I start replacing parts needlessly. Thanks, John.

The code 5 is not an actual a valid code or did you mean 25 which is for the O@ sensor?
You didn't mention anything about the fuel filter, have you tried replacing it? although that may not turn the engine light on but if the loss of fuel causes the engine to go lean it may do so, please re check the codes and let me know what exactly you are getting, another possible problem that comes to mind is a possible restricted exhaust or catalytic converter( if it has one).
Waiting for your reply.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems