Toyota Repair/Fluid changes

QUESTION: I have a 2006 Camry with only 50,000 miles. What is your opinion concerning coolant service and transmission service? Is it advisable based on age alone to change these fluids or is it overkill based on the low miles? Thanks!

ANSWER: Hello, the car is 10 years old so I would recommend doing this at about 60,000 miles.

QUESTION: Thanks Ted. So if I understand you correctly, you are saying I can postpone  these fluid changes until I hit 60,000 miles? I only put about 2500 miles on this car that that would be another 4 years. Also, is it necessary to use Toyota coolant and transmission fluid or can I go to an independent shop for these services? Does this car have a timing belt that needs to be changed since the car is 10 years old? Many thanks!

Hello, if you drive that short distance every year then go ahead and do the fluid changes now, the transmission requires WS (world standard) fluid if there is no dipstick, if it has a dipstick for the transmission check the type of fluid required imprinted on the dipstick, It could be Toyota type IV , right about 2006 Toyota made some changes to transmission fluid and coolant, use super long life pink fluid or long life red, or equivalents. The 4 cylinder engine has a timing chain and the V6 could be either chain or belt depending on production date, like I said they made some changes that year and if you have the 3MZ engine it has a timing belt. The chain drive engines have no maintenance recommendations for replacement but the belt drive is recommended every 90,000 miles or ten years.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter

I have more than 28 years experience as toyota technician, I will be able to answer most questions related to the Toyota product line up to the present year models,I am located in the US but welcome questions from other regions of the world. When asking a question please provide specific information: year,model, engine,transmission information. Provide as much information as possible including a brief repair history if possible. I have been a volunteer here for more ten years an have answered over 16,000 questions helping Toyota owners with their problems and save thousands of dollars without any compensation, some of my answers are published on many other websites including google and various automotive forums. DONATIONS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED, IF YOU HAVE RECIEVED HELPFUL INFORMATION PLEASE MAKE A DONATION. AS OF TODAY (JULY 22, 2014) ALL REQUESTED GRAPHICS, ILLUSTRATIONS, DIAGRAMS, PHOTOS, WILL REQUIRE THE MINUMUM DONATION UP FRONT.

Toyota technician since 1979,expert in electrical systems,OBD systems,engine repair, driveability problems,EFI systems,ASE certified,Toyota master technician.
Certified Hybrid Vehicle technician.

Toyota master technician, ASE certified in eight catagories, Hybrid vehicle certified. Toyota technical training: Engine Automatic transmission Manual transmission Drivetrain Electrical systems Brakes and chassis Air conditioning Engine performance and diagnostics Hybrid systems