• Home
  • Autos
  • Auto Repair
  • Toyota Repair
  • 92 4runner V6EFI. Starts sometimes with no problems. Other times when I try to start it the EFI fuse pops and it will not start at all.

Toyota Repair/92 4runner V6EFI. Starts sometimes with no problems. Other times when I try to start it the EFI fuse pops and it will not start at all.

Question
QUESTION: My 92 4runner v6 EFI starts sometimes with no problems. But now I try to start it and the EFI FUSE UNDER THE HOOD POPS.COULD THIS HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE KEY IGNITION.

ANSWER: Hello, there are a few things that could cause this  but it's obvious that it's some bad wiring, corrosion, wire insulation damage etc which can be hard to find. it also depends on whether the fuse blows with only the key on and not trying to start, this is important in finding the problem, so let me know if this is the case and I'll get back to you with a few things to try, it would also help if you had a volt/ohm meter (DVOM).

QUESTION: Hello.you gave me a few things to look at in your answer. Thank you for them.you ASK ME A question. I can turn the key ON AND THE EFIFuse
Don't pop. It is only when I crank the engine over.I PUT A 30amp FUSE
IN and try to start it and it started and when I TRY (IN the short
TIME IT ran)I TRY giving it gas when I DID IT SEEM TO maybe flutter
Or NO gas IN A way. I have gas to.

Answer
Hello, we know there is a problem that causes the fuse to pop when cranking and the engine is running not with only the key on the key on, putting a fuse that is rated at double the original will not solve anything, the fuse pops because there is an excess current draw or a short to ground in the EFI circuit, Disconnect the O2 sensor electrical connector, see if the fuse stops blowing, check the o2 sensor wiring for insulation damage, this is a common area for shorts, The fuel pump is also on this circuit, so it could be a fuel pump that's drawing too much current.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter