Toyota Repair/98 Tacoma Transmission

Question
Hello, Mr. Ritter, and thank you for volunteering for this service.
I know transmissions are a specialty, and possibly you do not get into transmission repair.  But here is the case:

1998 Tacoma 2.4  2 WD  Ext Cab
Transmission was rebuilt at 118K due to hanging up / not shifting
Truck now has 184K.  Transmission is fine when cold, but as it runs awhile and heats up, I notice rough shifting and eventually it will not go into reverse w/out a little rev of the engine

Suggestions have been to replace the solenoids and/or a gear lever ( I can't remember the exact name)  Do these symptoms suggest anything to you?

Answer
hello, what heats up? The engine or the transmission and if it's the transmission how do you know what temperature it is running? A few years ago I rebuild automatic and manual transmissions, due to the complexity of the computer controlled transmission we stopped doing this at the dealer level, about 20 years ago to be exact. What your describing is typically a worn transmission, worn clutches and plates and so on which causes pressure loss, pressure loss causes the apply pistons in the transmission to leak, reverse gear needs to most pressure and it's usually the first to show a problem, don't waste any money trying to fix this, it's not a solenoid problem unless you have a specific diagnostic code for a solenoid.
I usually don't recommend this but a quick and temporary fix may be to drain and refill the fluid, add a can of Lucas transmission treatment and see what happens but enetually it's going to have to be replaced with at least a rebuilt unit, do not let anyone take it apart to fix itwill cost you more and then it may not be fixed correctly.

Toyota Repair

Ted Ritter